At The Climate Coalition, we are committed to protecting personal information, and we take our responsibilities regarding the security of supporter information very seriously. This Privacy Notice explains what personal data we may collect about you. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data and keep it safe.
We know that there’s a lot of information here, but we want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how The Climate Coalition uses your data. We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have, but if not please do get in touch.
It’s likely that we’ll need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We’ll notify you of any significant changes, but you’re welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
Who is responsible for your data?
Our Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that The Climate Coalition, the operating name of the Climate Movement, collects and uses. References in this Privacy Notice to “The Climate Coalition,” “we,” “us,” or our mean The Climate Coalition, a charity registered in England (number 1160384.) Our registered office is Romero House, 55 Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7JB.
We control the ways your personal data is controlled and the purposes for which your personal data are used by The Climate Coalition. We are the “data controller” for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other applicable European data protection legislation.
Explaining the legal bases we rely on
GDPR sets out a number of different reasons for which an organisation may collect and process your personal data. The Climate Coalition will process personal data in line with the the following principles:
- With your consent
- We will only send you emails, make telephone calls, or contact you in any other way with your explicit consent. For example, when you tick a box to receive email updates.
- When it is necessary for us to fulfill a contract with you
- For example, when you make a donation or register as a member organisation.
What data we collect and when
We may collect and process the following categories of information about you:
Personal information, including contact details (eg, name, postal address, telephone number)
When you opt in to our mailing list, take a campaign action on our website, contact us, or donate.
The Climate Coalition member organisation that sent you to our website
When you take a campaign action on our website after being referred by one of our member organisations
The communications you exchange with us
When you email us, write a letter or call us
We collect non-personal data such as IP
addresses, details of web pages visited
and files downloaded. Website usage
information is collected using cookies.
(Please see the section on cookies below.)
When you use our website
Your posts and messages on social media
directed to The Climate Coalition
When you interact with us on social media
platforms such as Facebook, Twitter,
Instagram or LinkedIn
We collect personal data as part of our staff
or volunteer recruitment processes
When you apply for a job or for volunteering
opportunities with The Climate Coalition
How and why we use your personal data
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To manage your donations, requests or calls to action
- When you interact with us, we use your information to perform our services in relation to your donation, to deal with your queries and requests and to process responses to our campaigns.
- To be a part of The Climate Coalition’s work
- We know how fundamental our supporters and donors are to the work we do. In order to develop and foster your ongoing support, we want to keep in touch with you through feedback and further opportunities and invitations to support our work in both financial and non-financial ways.
- To communicate with you and manage our relationship with you
- Occasionally we may need to contact you by mail, email and/or telephone for administrative or operational reasons – for example, to send you confirmation of your donation. Please be aware that these communications are not made for marketing purposes and as such, you will continue to receive them even if you opt out of receiving marketing communications from us.
We will also use your personal data if we contact you after you have sent us a request, filled in a web form through our website or contacted us on social media.
If you’re under the age of 18
If you are under 18 and would like to get involved with The Climate Coalition’s work or campaigns, please ensure you have the consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information.
We will only ever collect or process any personal information for a child under 18 with explicit parental consent. When we collect information about a child or young person aged under 18 we will make clear the reasons for collecting this information, as well as how the information will be used.
Who do we share your personal data with?
The Climate Coalition does not share your data with any other charity, public body, or commercial organisation, unless we have to do so either for legal or compliance reasons, where you have given permission for us to do so, or where it is more cost effective and efficient for us to use a third party to deliver a product or service on our behalf.
Legal duty: We may need to pass on personal information if required by law or by a regulatory body. For example, if requested as part of an audit or by a law enforcement agency.
Your permission: The Climate Coalition is a group of over 100 charities and we collaborate on campaigns. In instances where a member organisation sends a supporter to The Climate Coalition website to sign up to a central campaign action, we may ask your permission to let the member organisation that referred you know that you completed the action. This data will be sent only if you give us permission and only to the organisation that referred you. It will be sent and held securely by both parties
Other service providers or third parties: We sometimes employ third party service providers to carry out tasks on our behalf. This can be because it is clearly more efficient for them to carry out certain tasks or when we do not have the capacity to do a specific task ourselves.
Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised.
What are your rights over personal data?
The Climate Coalition actively supports the principle of “fair and transparent” processing of your personal information. We support your rights in relation to your personal information under the General Data Protection Regulation, including the:
- right to be informed (chiefly via this policy)
- right of access
- right to rectification
- right to erasure
- right to restrict processing
- right to data portability
- right to object
- rights related to automated
- decision-making including profiling
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us in writing at The Climate Coalition, Romero House, 55 Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7JB or via email at email@example.com
Requesting access to your personal data
You have a right to request access to the personal data that we hold about you. If you would like to request a copy of your personal data or have any questions in relation to your personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can you stop the use of your personal data for email communications?
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you.
- Write to us at The Climate Coalition, Romero House, 55 Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7JB or via email at email@example.com
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
In order to improve our services, to provide you with more relevant content and to analyse how visitors use our websites, we may use technologies, such as cookies or other tracking software. Please be aware that in most cases we will not be able to identify you from the information we collect using these technologies, as this is based on your Internet Protocol (IP) address only.
Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf.
In order for us to understand how our supporters interact with the emails that we send, the email tools we use let us know if the emails we send are opened or links are clicked on. We use this information to make the content that we send as relevant to you as possible.
Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113, or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (please note that this will open a new window; we are not responsible for the content of external websites.) If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it. If you have any questions that haven’t been covered, please contact us and we’ll be pleased to help you:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or write to us at The Climate Coalition, Romero House, 55 Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7JB